PAWTUCKET—A blaze suspected to be arson destroyed a wooden shed at the old Conant Thread Mill complex at 280 Rand St. early Monday morning.
According to Pawtucket Fire Capt. Robert Thurber, the city's fire marshal, firefighters responded to a call at about 2:20 a.m. from a resident of the nearby Coates Manor elderly housing complex, who noticed the blaze.
Thurber said the fire completely destroyed the 12-foot by 18-foot detached shed, which was located on the vacant mill complex that formerly housed the Conant Thread-Coats & Clark manufacturing operations. No injuries were reported.
Thurber said it was obvious that the shed had been torched by someone.
He added that firefighters had responded to the same scene earlier, when an old couch placed outside the shed was found ablaze, and that an old mattress had also been propped near the fire scene a short time after that.
Police Major Arthur Martins said it appears to investigators that gasoline had been poured onto the floor of the shed and set ablaze.
He said the incident is still under investigation.
The sprawling brick mill complex, which borders Central Falls and encompasses Lonsdale Avenue, Pine Street, Rand Street and Conant Street, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.