PAWTUCKET — A fire caused by a candle in a bathroom led to the displacement of the occupants of a three-family house at 145 Garden St. on Saturday afternoon.
Firefighters responded to the blaze at around 3:30 p.m. that began in a second-floor bathroom. About a dozen tenants were evacuated, and no injuries were reported.
Fire Capt. Steven Parent, the city's fire marshal, said that while the fire damage was contained to the bathroom, there was water damage to the first and second floor apartments.
Parent said that while a candle apparently sparked this blaze, there were several other electrical and building code issues discovered in the owner-occupied house that prompted the electricity to be shut off. He said the code issues will have to be resolved before the house can be inhabited.
“We came here this time because of a candle, but it looked like we would have been coming here eventually for something else,” noted Parent, of some of the house's non-compliant construction and wiring configurations.
Parent said that the Red Cross was called to assist some of the tenants with finding temporary lodging.