Skip to main content

Tenants displaced by fire on Gordon Street

September 14, 2011

PAWTUCKET — An electrical fire that started in an attic displaced about 13 tenants in a four-unit apartment house at 192 Garden St. early Wednesday morning, fire officials said.
The call for the three-alarm blaze came in at around 5 a.m. According to Fire Capt. Steven Parent, the fire burned through much of the roof and caused extensive smoke and water damage throughout the wood frame house.
All of the tenants were able to escape and no one was injured, although two firefighters had to be treated for heat exhaustion, he said.
Parent, who is also the city's fire marshal, said the cause was traced to an overheated electrical system.
He said the owner of the house, who did not live there, had recently hired someone to winterize the house with blown-in insulation in the attic.
He said the insulation material had buried some old electrical wiring and fixtures that were not designed to be covered up, which is thought to have contributed to the blaze.
He also said there had been some new electrical wiring connected to the old wiring, which likely caused the system to overload.
Parent said that the Red Cross was called in to assist the tenants with finding lodging.

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes