- Special Sections
- Pro Football
By BRENDAN McGAIR
BOSTON - For Aaron Cook and the Red Sox, D-Day â€“ as in Decision Day â€“ is at hand.
With Tuesday marking May 1, the day in which Cookâ€™s minor-league opt-out clause officially takes effect, Boston must decide whether to promote the veteran pitcher and place him on the active roster or risk losing him to free agency. Reached Monday night, Joe Bick, the agent for Cook, spelled out a step-by-step process that included all involved parties.
â€śThe way it reads is that if he isnâ€™t called up by May 1, then we make the decision we have to make, and they have 48 hours to respond,â€ť Bick stated. â€śOnce we make a decision, itâ€™s completely in their hands. Thereâ€™s really nothing for us to do beyond deal with what their response is.â€ť
For more about Cook, see Tuesday's edition.