Skip to main content

Greenhouse damaged by fire

January 19, 2011

PAWTUCKET — A fire that ignited Monday evening caused substantial damage to a greenhouse belonging to Imondi & Sons Florist at 182 Smithfield Ave.
According to Fire Capt. Steven Parent, the shop had closed for business at 5 p.m. and the fire alarm came in at around 6 p.m. The blaze apparently started in a wood frame greenhouse, one of two greenhouses that are connected to a showroom. He said the heat caused the greenhouse panels to melt but the showroom and remaining metal frame greenhouse remained intact.
Parent said there was actually very little smoke or water damage to the rest of the florist shop. He also said that most of the flowers and plants in stock were in a refrigerated case and appeared to be unaffected by the blaze. However, he said firefighters had to cut off the electrical power to the florist shop, so the owner has to bring in a compressor. The shop is temporarily closed, but Parent said the owner is working with city Zoning and Code Enforcement officials to get power into the building and the electrical service restored as soon as possible.
Parent said the fire is still under investigation but is believed to have been electrical in nature. “We're looking at a compressor,” he said. Firefighters extinguished the blaze and remained at the scene until about 10 p.m.
No one was inside the building at the time and no one was injured fighting the fire. However, Parent said that firefighters had to search along the street for a while to locate and uncover a nearby fire hydrant that had been completely buried in the snow by plows.

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes