Skip to main content

Firefighter's sexual assault trial ends in hung jury

May 30, 2012

PAWTUCKET — After nine hours of deliberations on Monday, a jury came back as deadlocked in the trial of a Pawtucket firefighter accused of having sex with a juvenile teenage girl.
The defendant, 40-year-old Cody Reed of Second Street, has been charged with two counts of third-degree sexual assault on a minor, according to Amy Kempe, public information officer for the Office of the Attorney General. Reed has been accused of sexual assault on a person over the age of 14 but under16.
Kempe described the victim as a close family friend. Multiple sources have said that she was the daughter of another Pawtucket firefighter.
Kempe said that the trial, heard in Superior Court in Providence before Associate Justice Judith Savage, lasted three days but the jury was unable to reach a consensus on a decision. Reed had been out on $30,000 surety bail since his arraignment and was ordered to have no contact with the victim—both conditions which will continue, she said.
Kempe said that both sides were scheduled to meet with Judge Savage on Tuesday to determine how to proceed. She said there are a number of options, including the possibility that the state could retry Reed on the case or they could reach a plea agreement.
Pawtucket Police had arrested Reed, who was 38 at the time, on September 6, 2010 on allegations that a series of sexual assaults had taken place between Reed and the teenager over a two-year period. Police say the first incident occurred on November 10, 2008 when the alleged victim was 14.
Reed was originally charged with first- and second-degree sexual assault of a minor, but the Attorney General's Office later amended the charges to third-degree sexual assault when it was determined that elements of force and coercion were not present in the facts of the case, Kempe said.
According to city officials, Reed has been suspended without pay since Oct. 13, 2011 when his EMT certification was not renewed by the state Department of Health. He remains suspended without pay from the fire department, and city officials say they will wait to see what the final legal outcome is before determining his status going forward.


Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes