Skip to main content

Cumberland man found guilty of child molestation

June 4, 2013

PROVIDENCE — Attorney General Peter F. Kilmartin announced that John Rainey, 54, of Cumberland, was found guilty Tuesday by a Superior Court jury on two counts of first-degree child molestation and one count of second-degree child molestation.
The jury returned the guilty verdict 90 minutes after a five-day trial presided over by Superior Court Justice William E. Carnes, Jr.
During the trial, the state proved beyond a reasonable doubt that Rainey molested a young girl, with whom he was acquainted, on multiple occasions during the late 1980s and early 1990s, with the molestation being in the first and second degree. The victim disclosed the abuse to the Providence police in 2011. A grand jury indicted Rainey in February 2012.
During the trial, the victim testified that the defendant molested her starting when she was just eight years old from October 1987 to April 1992.
“I commend the victim for having the courage to tell her story and face her abuser after so many years. Her story should give other victims of sexual abuse the strength to come forward and be silent no more,” said Kilmartin. “This case also highlights the tremendous advocacy work done by Day One on behalf of victims, and we are all reminded that there is help for sexual assault and domestic violence victims, twenty four hours a day, seven days a week through this agency.”
Kilmartin praised the cooperative effort between law enforcement, advocacy and prosecution “to bring this sexual predator to justice.” Providence Police Detective Teddy Michael led the investigation for the Providence police and was assisted by Robert Giron, an advocate from Day One. Michael was also assisted by Detective Sergeant Robert Winsor and Detective Donti Rosciti of the Pawtucket Police who provided information to Providence from a related Pawtucket investigation. Special Assistant Attorney General Gina Lopes prosecuted the case on behalf of the Office of Attorney General.
Justice Carnes ordered Rainey continued to be held without bail.


Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes