CENTRAL FALLS â When Thomas Lazieh was elected mayor in 1990, the city was embroiled in a different kind of economic turmoilâan inherited budget deficit of a then-staggering $2.7 million. With the school system still under the city's control, Lazieh maintains that the budget deficit was actually worseâpercentage wiseâthan it was two years ago when the decision was made to seek Chapter 9 bankruptcy. Yet, with some belt tightening and economic development measures, âwe were able to turn the city around,â he noted. More importantly, he thinks the 2010 bankruptcy could have been avoided.
PAWTUCKET â A fire caused by a candle in a bathroom led to the displacement of the occupants of a three-family house at 145 Garden St. on Saturday afternoon.
Firefighters responded to the blaze at around 3:30 p.m. that began in a second-floor bathroom. About a dozen tenants were evacuated, and no injuries were reported.
Fire Capt. Steven Parent, the city's fire marshal, said that while the fire damage was contained to the bathroom, there was water damage to the first and second floor apartments.