Archive - Aug 31, 2011 - News Article
EAST PROVIDENCE â€” Fire Chief Joe Klucznik said Wednesday evening that Rhode Island Department of Transportation officials had taken control of a clean-up operation after approximately 24,000 gallons of home heating fuel spilled onto Valley Street and covered two nearby buildings earlier in the day.
The cause of the accident: A backhoe operated by a Cardi Corp. construction crew member punctured a 16-inch, high pressure pipeline, propelling the fuel 30-40 feet into the air.
CENTRAL FALLS â€” The exact cause has yet to be determined, but Fire Department officials believe that a candle was likely to blame for a Monday night tenement fire that displaced 12.
According to acting Fire Chief John Garvey, the fire was reported at around 8:37 p.m. in a three-story house at 138 Railroad St. The entire house, like much of the surrounding neighborhood, was without power.
PAWTUCKET â€” As the power outages continue throughout many neighborhoods in Pawtucket, Mayor Donald Grebien and the police and fire chiefs say they are still largely in the dark as to when National Grid will have the electricity for the entire city fully restored.
Following a statewide conference call on Tuesday for city officials statewide, the Grebien Administration issued a memo saying that the latest news was that supplemental National Grid crews arrived at the Community College of Rhode Island in Warwick that afternoon and crews had been arriving in the city throughout the day.